CHURCH – On loan from Marcel
Modeled about six years ago after Our Lady of the Assumption, one of the first Churches on the Island.
Marcel does maintenance for the parish that includes Our Lady of the Assumption and while redoing the front doors, he decided to make a model.
Quoted from the internet: “In 1865, Father Mandart, a Breton, was ordained for the Victoria Diocese. He is credited as being the real founder of the Saanich Mission. On his arrival he fashioned a church and home from a large fallen tree with upturned roots. With help from the First Nations people of the area, he then built a small church, which was later blessed and dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin by Bishop Seghers in 1876. Upon Father Mandart’s recall to Victoria in 1886, priests from the Cathedral served the Saanich Mission.
In 1893, one year after his ordination in Europe, Father Adrian Joseph Vullinghs performed his first baptism in Saanich. Apparently he had found Father Mandart’s original 20 x 26 foot church, built of logs with squared timbers for pews; an altar of paper and living quarters consisting of two small cold rooms at the back of the church. He served the area from 1893 to 1909 and built the present church and residence on West Saanich Road.”